Thursday, April 14, 2011

Simple Yet Savvy Idea #1


As times get more and more financially difficult for a lot of us I thought I (Christina) would take some time to share with you all what to do with the cut-off crusts of your kids bread slices
or the end pieces (or as we call it in our home...the "butt", ha, ha) of the bread loaf.
Or what about those hot dog or hamburger buns that just sit there and get old cuz everyone already polished off all the hot dogs and hamburgers.

So.......... 

Thanks to my mamasitas she taught me this amazingly frugile and very useful tip while growing up in her home.
Many of you might already be doing this but for those who just toss those poor little pieces in the trash, hopefully this will enlighten you and motivate you to save them!

I use them to turn them into BREAD CRUMBS!
So I never have to waste money buying them at the store!
Genius, huh?
Ahh...thank goodness for mothers!
You can use them in so many dishes...meatloaf, to bread chicken, on top of casseroles, hamburgers...the list goes on!

Because my family eats bread like it's going out of style and my kids don't like the crust or the "butt" of the bread I simply store them daily in a little pan right above my toaster oven.  That way whenever the toaster oven is on, they are drying out quickly and will be ready for me to blend up.


So when the time comes that there is a lot of bread stored up I toss the pieces in the food processor.  After processing, I put all of it into a bowl and mix in
garlic powder,
onion powder,
dried basil,
dried parsley,
&
salt.


So simple! 

I have a large glass container/jar that I keep it in so when a recipe calls for bread crumbs it's ready to go!
What a great way to save money, too!


Butterflies and Eskimos,

Sarah & Christina

2 comments:

  1. Oh is that an artichoke jar from Cost Co.? I keep walnuts and pecans in mine. Love the bread crumb idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sue: yes! I love saving big jars like that one cuz I buy stuff in bins so I store everything in there! Plus it's glass! yay! Costco has the pretzels with pb container there as well that is bigger! I put flour, sugar, TVP, rice, beans...everything! :)

    ReplyDelete