Monday, April 11, 2011

"Buried Treasure" Pizza!

Ok, ladies and gentlemen!!! Christina here and yet again in the kitchen!  One of the most deceptive yet amazingly successful veggie-packed meals you can sneak into dinner time is 

PIZZA!!!

There are three VERY important tricks to getting the veggies into the pizza without anyone knowing but you...
#1.  Put all veggies in the food processor until it is all "crumbly" and resembles nothing like it's original state!
#2.  Mix it into the sauce so it just looks like the herbs and onions that come in pizza sauce normally.
#3.  Make sure the cheese (I prefer fresh parmesan) covers most of it up (not too much cuz the idea is for the pizza to be healthy!)

Now, you can get as crazy as you want and throw in whatever veggies you want your family to eat.  I throw mushrooms, zuchhinni, bell peppers, onion, garlic, spinach sometimes all at the same time together or with just one or two veggies.  If you are introducing veggies in your cooking for the first time then my advice is to start SMALL!  You don't want to scare off anyone with your cooking! My little ones totally grub off this pizza because they can't see or feel the veggies when they're chewing it.  I'm the same way!  I know I should eat collard greens or kale but I hate it!  Unless of course, I throw it in the food processor and it's so small that I'm not chewing on something huge and leafy! 
Don't forget that the goal is to get it in! 


My hot hubby gettin' creative!

Ingredients (on this particular one):
  • Jar of Spaghetti Sauce (I buy the Trader Joe's $1.79 one)
  • 1 Zuchhinni
  • 1/2 a carton of mushrooms
  • 5 mini bell peppers (orange, red and yellow. I buy the bag at Costco.  It's super cheap and lasts a long time)
  • 3 garlic cloves (yumm...this is good at disguising certain strong veggie flavors)
  • 1 onion  (another good one to mask the taste of nasty certain veggies)
  • A large handful of Spinach, washed, (I buy this at  Costco as well.  It's organic and inexpensive.)
  • Block of Parmesan cheese, grated (a little more expensive but in my opinion healthier than mozzarella)
  •  3 bags of uncooked pizza dough (if you can make your own-even better! I buy it at Trader Joe's for $1.29 each)


 Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.  Wash and prep veggies.
3.  Toss in food processor and process until desired consistency (the smaller the better chance they'll eat it!)
4.  In large bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and veggies.
5.  Add any spices or herbs. (I like parsley, basil, onion and garlic powder, and salt.)

Little ones make great helpers!

6.  Roll out dough and place on greased cookie sheet.
7.  Pour sauce on dough.
8.  Grate cheese and generously (but not too much, tee! hee!) sprinkle on pizza.
9.  Place in oven for 20-25 min.  Check the bottom to ensure that the pizza dough is cooked all the way through.
10.  Enjoy!

Feel free to comment or ask any questions!

Butterflies and Eskimos,

Sarah and Christina


This pic is sideways! oops!


1 comment:

  1. i am CRAVING pizza now! thanks christina. your pizza is always so yummy perhaps you and tory can make it for Easter wknd when you come ;)

    ReplyDelete