Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Apple pie craving!!!

Hey y'all It's Sarah,
I don't know how I grew up in the city, because as long as I could remember 
I have always want to live on a farm. The proof of this is my obsession, love of apple pie! It's true, I lose my mind over apple pie. It just oozes with old country goodness.


 
Store bought can go over board with the sugar, not that I won't eat sugar when I'm at a party or something but it can be a bit much.
 I did a little research and found out the a "certain" restaurant chain who are know for their famous pie's
dump 570 calories, 31g. of fat, and 29g. of sugar in just one slice of apple pie!!! That's not including all the partially hydrogenated fats and syrups in there.


Bummer!

But I need that yummy apple deliciousness on a regular basis, ahhhhh! 
What ever shell I do!?!


I know I'll bust the "original recipe!"


enjoy!
 My busted out Apple crispiness


  Filling:
4-6  organic granny smith apples (organic is optional)
agave nectar and/or honey (to taste)
1tsp. cinnamon
1tsp.vanilla

Topping:
1 1/2 c. oatmeal and/or your favorite healthy granola
3tlb. ground flax seed
1/4 c. chopped almonds (optional)
1/4 c. shredded coconut (optional)
1tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. real butter
1/4 c. raw organic cane sugar (optional)
1. core and slice apples, then in lg. bowl mix apples, sweetener, cinnamon,and vanilla. Set aside in fridge while you prepare the next step.

 Real raw sugar, that's what it should look like,hahaha!






2.In separate bowl mix together all other dry ingredients, Then cut butter into cubes and press into oat mixture with your fingers until it is all mixed.




Tip! If you don't have time to make this from start to finish, you can cook the apples stove top and then throw on some granola for a quick apple pie fix!


This is my fave! I get it at Costco for around $6










4. next you'll dump the apple mix into a baking dish, and then pour on your crumble.

5. Cover with foil and bake @375 for about 45 min.s or until bubbling.
after 45 min. take of foil and let the crisp brown for about 5 min.


Here She is all beautiful and golden brown!



I like to add a spoon full of mascarpone cheese. Oh it's soooooo good!

It is ridiculously healthy for you too!

So if there are any foods that you love but know are bad for you, let us know we love a challenge and want to try to help you find a better way to enjoy that things you love!


  Eskimo's and Butterflies  
Sarah & Christina 

1 comment: